Sunday, November 20, 2011

Green Moong Salad/Sundal

I had a taste of many sundals for the first time this Navratri, since I live in a largely Hindu locality i had a good experience of those festive 9 days and also got a lot of awareness about the Hindu religion.I particularly took an instant liking to this green moong sundal/salad.I even make it for dinners now with a little addition.


Sundal is just lentils or legumes tossed and tempered with the traditional south indian curry leaves,mustard seeds and coconut.Its such a tasty and nutritious dish all in one shot.My mom used to run after me to have these moong and now I should tell her how i love it!

As a tradition, during each of the 9 days of Navratri a different type of sundal has to be served to the Goddess (scribbles from my gathered knowledge).This year i had a taste of black chick peas sundal (the common of these),green peas sundal, green moong sundal, channa dal sundal, and funnily I didn't even know there were so many types!! :)

How i make it..

Green Moong beans boiled and cooled 2 cups
Sambar Powder 1tsp(optional)
Salt to taste
Cilantro chopped

Tempering
Coconut oil 1 teaspoon (add more if u like of any oil, i just think coconut oil adds to the flavor try it!)
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves 2 3 sprigs
Dried Red chillies 2nos
Coconut scrapped 1 tablespoons (or more as much as u like)


  • Cook the moong beans and set it aside.
  • Heat the oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds,curry leaves,dry chillies and coconut scrappings.
  • Next add the cooked green moong and toss well in this tempering.Add the sambar powder(its optional).

  • Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with chapatis or have it as it is!
Linking this to 



and to Smita's and Edible Entertainment's HCC


3 comments:

Thanks for coming by and giving me all the encouragement to keep going.

You May also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis