Lazy to make chutney for breakfast...then this podi(powder) is the saviour!My LM loves this...dosa and idli are side dishes for her..its the podi that she wants :) Its also healthy in a way as its mainly lentils' mixed -roasted and powdered with spices.
There are many variations to this podi but we make this basic simple one at home.
Kadala parupu/Bengal Gram lentils 1 measure
Urad dal/white lentils 1 measure
Peeled Garlic pods 8-10(you can add more)
Dried red chillies 5( as per your spice requirement)
Curry leaves 3 4 sprigs
Asoefetida a generous pinch
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Sesame seed oil 1 tablespoon
- In a heavy based pan, dry roast the lentils/dals.Set aside to cool.
- Next add the sesame seed oil and once it heats, add the garlic,cumin seeds,curry leaves and red chillies.( add one by one and set it aside to cool)
- Once all the lentils and spices have cooled down, add the salt and powder it in the blender.
- Serve with idlis or dosas.You need to mix the podi with sesame oil and serve.
I had posted the fried idlis recipe sometime back.I recently tried a tiny addition to the fried idlis and tasted good.I added this podi to the fried idlis at the result was pleasing!
- Enjoy your idlis with tasty podi!