We have a Restaurant that has a large grill outside it and everytime we pass it we were tempted to buy until last week we tried it.Yuck it was the worst grilled chicken ever!My LM who is an absolute chicken lover hated it.Until i made this for her the next day as promised I was scared she'll detest chicken after having that grilled one!
This dish tastes best with an easy dal and rasam just an everyday lunch can be taken to totally different levels with this chicken fry.This is a the first time I tried adding coconut milk to a dry chicken dish and it was one winner of a recipe.
Chicken 250 gms
Potato 2 small
Crushed ginger 1/2 inch piece
Crushed garlic 5-6 pods
Green chilli 1
Curry leaves 5-6
Aniseeds/Saunf/perumjeerakam 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder 1 tsp
Crush all the above in a mortar and pestle and add it to the chicken.And rub it onto the chicken and leave it in the refrigerator over night.
To make the gravy
Coconut oil 2 tablespoons
Curry leaves 2 sprigs
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Onion 1 large sliced finely
Tomato 1 small
Coconut milk 1/4 cup
Roasted and crushed whole spices (2 cardamoms,cloves,cinnamon and one petal of a star aniseed)
- Heat oil in a wide kadhai/wok, add the mustard seeds and curry leaves, now add the onions.
- Add the chicken once the onions go transparent.
- Let this cook in its own juices don't add any water.Add the tomato and cover.
- Add the potatoes once the tomato is all broken down.
- Cover and cook until chicken is tender and soft.
- Check for spices if you want it more spicy add half a spoon of garam masala to this.
- Add the coconut milk at the end once the chicken and potatoes are done.
- Cook on low heat until the coconut milk is all soaked up by the chicken.
- Serve hot with sambar, rasam and cabbage kootu like i did!
Enjoy creamy delicious chicken fry with less oil :)
Sending this to Side dish mela ,
Motions and Emotions Event ,