I think this has to be the worst timing to make this post when tomatoes are priced at almost Rs.60 per kg.But I still love it anytime to go with idlis or dosas.This is has been lying around in my drafts for ages now, being a south indian household we make chutneys most often almost daily and why not try a different one whenever time permits.
My mom never made idli dosas for breakfast daily like i do these days because we used to leave to school at 730am and get back home at 1pm and it was own transport my dad used to chauffeur us!What bliss no??!! So our breakfast used to be oats or corn flakes or something simple because I remember how hard it was to even swallow a cup of oats used to be for me!Now I don't spare my LM but she stays much longer than I do at school and she likes her idlis and dosas with podi ONLY!
Preparation time 15 minutes
Onions 1 medium
Tomato 2 small or 1 large
Ginger small piece
Garlic 2 pods
Curry leaves 2 sprigs
Mint/pudhina leaves 3-4 sprigs or more
Salt to taste
Green chilli 1 small
Oil 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Jeera/cumin seeds 1 tsp
Urad dal 1 tsp
Coconut 1 tablespoon
- Heat oil in a pan, add oil and once hot add the mustard, cumin seeds and curry leaves.Then add add the urad dal.Fry well until golden brown.
- Add the onion, tomato, green chillies, ginger, garlic,mint leaves and fry until the tomatoes are soft and the raw smell goes away.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add the coconut and turn off the heat.
- Allow this mixture to cool down.Blend it well in a mixer.
- Serve hot with idlis or dosas for breakfast!
Very flavourful and tangy chutney is ready for your breakfast table!