Instant(almost!) breakfast idea = Rawa idlis.I made this on a weekend when i usually run out of dosa batter and everything else.So I decided to try these easy idlis.They were smooth soft and filling.
The secret ingredient to making these idlis is curd/yogurt and a pinch of baking soda/eno fruit salt.You just have to mix it all up and leave it overnight and steam the idlis in the morning.Done!
Since the rawa/semolina is a little bland you have to work on the extra flavouring part and make a nice coconut chutney to accompany it.We all loved it at home.It was super filling too.
I checked a few recipes before i settled on this one.
Roasted rawa/semolina 1 cup
Curd 2 cups + a little water/curd (to get the consistency right)
Salt to taste
for the seasoning
Oil 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds 1/2tsp
Channa dal/bengal gram 1tsp
Urad dal/black gram 1/2tsp
Curry leaves 1 sprig chopped finely
Coriander leaves few sprigs chopped finely
Cashew nuts chopped and roasted in ghee few
Grated carrot 2 tablespoon
Ginger grated 1/2 tsp
Grated coconut 1 tablespoon or more as per your taste
Just before steaming the idlis we need to add 1tsp of baking soda/eno fruit salt
- Mix the roasted rawa with the curd and salt and leave it overnight.
- In the morning, heat oil in a pan and add the ingredients for the seasoning one after the other.
- Mix this seasoning into the raw/curd mixture and stir well.
- Grease the idli moulds and then mix the baking soda to the rawa idli batter.
- Pour spoonfuls of batter into the greased moulds , garnish the idlis with a cashew and few pieces of carrot gratings and place the idli stand into the steamer and cover the vessel and cook for 10-12 minutes or until done.You can use the pressure cooker without the whistle.
- Once cooled, the idlis are ready to be served with coconut chutney.