Wishing all my dear friends a Prosperous and Healthy Tamil New Year.
புத்தாண்டு உஙகளுக்கு மகிழ்சியாக மலர வாழ்த்துக்கள்!
Celebrations are many in India and they are all associated with
food sweets.Each festival holds an unique bond to a whole range of foods and sweets. Payasams/kheers are many and one of it has to be a part of every celebration.
Of all the payasams, Semiya payasam made out of milk is the easiest and tastiest to make.I just recently tried making it with coconut milk and i loved it.Being a south indian, coconut in all its forms has to be by far a favourite.But this is different, it was just a refreshing taste in the simple milk payasam.
Semiya/vermicilli 1/2 cup
Milk 1 and half cup
Coconut milk 1 and half cup
Sugar 3 tablespoons or to taste
Water half a cup
Cashew nuts 1 tablespoon
Dry grapes/raisins 2 tablespoon
Cardamom pods crushed 3
Roasted coconut flakes/dessicated coconut 1 tablespoon
ghee 2 tablespoons
- Add semiya in a thick bottom pan and roast it in a spoon of ghee until slightly brown or use roasted vermicilli. Remove the semiya to a plate.In this same pan fry cashews and raisins until brown keep aside.
- Add milk to the pan let it heat add the sugar once its dissolved add the semiya and water.Ccook the semiya until soft.
- Add crushed cardamom pods and fried nuts and raisins.
- Toast the coconut in some ghee and add it to the milk mix.
- Once the semiya has cooked check for sugar and add the coconut milk.Once the coconut milk has been added just stir once and turn off the heat.
Serve flavourful payasam hot or cold as you like.We love ours luke warm :)