Rose cookies or achi appam as they are called in tamil nadu or achappams in kerala are definitely the sign of Christmas.I made them last week when mom was around she always makes them and it was really simple this time around as i used store brought rice flour.I had tried it with raw rice i felt it was a bit tedious.
To make these muruku we need the mould first and foremost.The mould if a new one has to be soaked in oil overnight and then used it the next day.SInce mine is a used one well almost i've used it once, i soaked it just an hour before i made the murukku.Once the batter is ready, dip the mould in hot oil in the vessel we will be frying the murukku.Once its hot dip the mould almost three fourth to the top and dip it in the hot oil and wiggle the mould for the first few times the murukku may not fall off use a skewer or knife to push it off.It is very important to dip the mould in hot oil everytime.
Rice flour 3 cups
Coconut grated 1 cup
White sesame seeds 2 tablespoons(optional)
Sugar 1 cup
Oil to deep fry
- Take the rice flour, coconut, sugar and eggs in a blender and blend until smooth with a little water you may need around 1 cup or more water.
- Once the batter is of the right consistency not too thick not too runny.
- Transfer the batter to a bowl, heat oil in a wide kadhai to fry the murukku.
- Drop the mould in the oil to allow it to heat along with the oil, once the oil and mould are hot, dip the mould in the batter upto 3/4th of the mould and dip into the oil and wiggle the mould so the murukku drops into the oil.And once the murukku drops in leave the mould in the oil and fry the murukku until golden brown.
- Repeat for all the batter.
- Store in air tight containers they stay good for weeks.
- Soaking the mould in oil helps in making the murukku faster.If it sticks on push the murukku into the oil with a knife or fork or skewer.
- if the murukku doesnt hold shape it maybe because of excess egg in that case add a tablespoon of all purpose flour/maida and mix and try again.we didn't need to add anything with the above ratio of ingredients.
- you can leave the sesame seeds if you like just adds a nice flavour to the murukku.