Thursday, August 8, 2013

Yellow Pumpkin Halwa - Pressure cooker method

Ramadan brings back many many sweet childhood memories to me. Heres wishing all my Muslim friends and their families Eid Mubarak.
Sweet dishes are many in our country and we don't spare even the vegetables we turn them into halwas :) This is one such halwa.

I started buying pumpkins very recently until then I thought they were too large to be stored for long or too sweet ( lame reasons i know) But when I got them I started making sabji and I knew they were really versatile.I added them to my channa/ chick pea gravy and a plain sabji too for rotis.


And then I wanted to try them in baking which is yet to happen but the sweet dish happened which was in line too.I had saved one portion of the pumpkin for long and thank goodness I did see what i got this beautiful halwa!

I have made this in the pressure cooker but you can make it otherwise too.



You need
Pumpkin (yellow) grated 3 cups
Milk 1/2 cup
Sugar 1 cup or less
Milk powder 2 tablespoons
Ghee 2 tablespoons
Cashew nuts, Almonds, Raisins few of each
Orange/yellow food color a pinch
Cardamom powder 1/4 tsp


  • Toast the nuts and raisins in a little (2 tsp) ghee and keep aside.
  • In a pressure cooker add the grated pumpkin with the milk cover and cook for 3 whistles.
  • Once the cooker cools open the cooker and add the remaining ingredients except the nuts and raisins.
  • Keep the flame on medium and keep stirring else it may burn.
  • Keep cooking this mixture until the excess water all dries up by this time the halwa will start leaving the sides too.
  • Add the roasted nuts and give it a stir.Allow to cool.
  • Serve yummy creamy halwa cold we enjoyed it that way.


Notes : 
- If you're wondering if that half cup of milk is less don't worry the pumpkin will ooze out loads of water.
- Pumpkin is a sweet vegetable too so check the sugar level the amount i added itself we felt was a little more.






11 comments:

  1. love the halwa and surely this tastes more yumm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very delicious and yummy halwa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. superb halwa, makes me drool and I love the last click yummm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish i get a bowl of this halwa, who can resist to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love that halwa...used to be my favorite...its been ages since I had them..thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Itz good dat it can be made in the pressure cooker.Thanx for the recipe. Looks so awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely looking halwa, yummy & healthy !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by and giving me all the encouragement to keep going.

You May also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis