Hope everyone had a festive long weekend, today as I type this the weather is beautiful in Chennai!So this is the kind of food everyone of us would crave for.
As i write this post I think I have not added much recipes of this wonder lentil as much as i make it. I make it almost every week one time atleast.The kids love them just plain boiled.I have to hide some to make the gravy always.
I watched this gravy and batura recipe on Zee khana khazana channel i totally loved it and wanted to try it at once(which i did).
Preparation time 25 minutes
Chana/chick peas 1cup
Ginger 1/2 inch piece finely chopped
Garlic 3 pods finely chopped
Onion 1 large finely chopped
Tomato 1 large finely chopped
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Chana masala 1 tsp (see notes)
Garam masala 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil 2 tablespoons
To grind to a fine paste
(take this from the above ingredients when chopped)
Few boiled chana 2 tablespoons
Onion 1 tablespoon
Ginger garlic half a tsp each
- Soak the channa over night and drain the soaked water, now pressure cook it for 3-4 whistles.
- Allow to cool and take few cooked chana and grind the above paste and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, onions and fry well.
- Add the finely chopped ginger and garlic and saute well.
- Add tomatoes fry well until almost mashed.
- Add the ground masala and fry well for 2-3 minutes until the onions lose the raw smell.
- Add the powders and add half cup of water.(use water added to cook the channa)
- Add the cooked channa add salt to taste ( i have already added salt to cook the chana so add just enough for the gravy else it will be excess).
- COver and cook for 5-10 minutes.Turn off the heat.
- Delicious creamy restaurant style channa masala is ready to go with hot baturas.
- I didn't have chana masala in hand so added some dhaniya powder that i usually add to curries and ready made garam masala from the packs.
- Did you know there are big channas and small ones available these days.I have used the smaller one in this recipe.Nothing special I just thought they're cute.