I was so bored of making the same old pulav and i wanted to fine tune my vegetarian biryani.I had never even tasted this dish so I didn't even know what to keep on looking for.I was on this mad hunt for an unknown recipe i finally realised!
I landed up on some recipe and thought the ingredients were decent and made something which turned out pretty good.
Chopped Vegetables(carrots,beans,cauliflower,peas,potato) chopped 2 cups (or lesser)
Basmati Rice 2 cups
Water 5 cups
Garam masala powder 1 tsp
Coriander powder/dhaniya powder 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Saffron flavored milk 1 tablespoon (i used orange color)
Butter/ghee 2 tablespoons + 1tablespoon
Garam masala whole-cardamoms,cloves,cinnamon few each.
Onions sliced finely 1 large
Fresh mint leaves and cilantro to garnish
To make a paste you need
Almonds 5-10(soaked in warm water and peeled)
Ginger garlic 1 tablespoon
Onion 1 small
Mint leaves a handful
Yogurt 2 tablespoons
- Soak the rice and set it aside.After about 30 minutes drain the rice and fry it in a tablespoon of oil/butter.keep aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy base pan, add the whole garam masala and let it pop.Now add the onions.
- Add the vegetables and fry it well until soft.
- Add the ground paste to the pan and fry well.Let the vegetables absorb the juices of the paste.
- Add the dry masalas and fry until the oil leaves the sides.
- Add the rice and stir well.Add salt to taste and add the water and cover the vessel and cook for 12-15 minutes until rice is soft and tender.
- Serve hot with raita.
Sending this to Lets Cook@Tickling Palates.