Adding greens to meats may sound awkward but its a healthy and tasty alternative to just always having the green leafy stuff with pulses or by themselves.This recipe is a luscious methi/fenugreek leaves gravy with chicken and potatoes.
Fenugreek/methi/vendhayam seeds are reckoned best for lactating mothers as they increase the milk flow.In Mumbai there are special methi ladoos available loaded with methi seed powder,ghee,and dry fruits especially for lactating moms!Methi seeds also help relieve arthiritis,control cholestrol, with high fibre content- consumed with a glass of warm water helps relieve constipation and is commonly believed as a good hair conditioner!Read more here.
|Methi leaves and methi/fenugreek seeds|
You can make this gravy with either the fresh leaves or kasuri methi.
For this recipe in this post, I have used kasuri methi.If you see the pictures you can see the dried methi leaves sprinkled on top.
Chicken half kg
Yogurt 3 tablespoons
Ginger garlic paste 1 tablespoon
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder a pinch
Fennel/saunf powder 1 tsp
For the gravy
Whole spices cardamom 3,cloves 3,cinnamon a piece
Onions 1 large chopped finely
Tomato 1 medium
Red chilli powder 1 tsp(or as needed)
Garam masala powder 2 tsp
Coriander powder 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Kasuri methi 2 tablespoons (soaked in water and drained)
Potatoes 1 medium(optional)
Oil 2-3 tablespoons
- Marinate the chicken and leave it aside for 1/2 hour or more.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the whole spices and let it pop, now add the onions and fry well.
- Add the methi leaves to this and fry well in the oil.
- Next add the tomatoes and let it fry well until soft.
- Add the potatoes now if you're using them.
- Add the chicken marinade and all.Cover and cook well until the chicken is soft.(Check for salt in addition the marinade)
- Add the spice powders and mix well and cook covered again until the chicken and potatoes are done.
- Garnish with some more kasuri methi.
Serve hot with pulav or any indian flat breads.