Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Plantain fritters/Pazham bhajji

Ask any south indian and this has to be among their favorite snacks :) Mine too!Pazham pori, pazham bhajji, ethakka appam --- its got more names but i like to call it kerala banana bhajji.Since we are geographically neighbours we also share a common tea time snack!


I make this easy snack whenever these plantains find their way into my kitchen.My daughter is against trying new stuff so if i take the whole plantain or cut into round slices (like how my mom used to give it to me) she will just refuse to eat it.So i need to redress the plantain in this form to get her to eat it.Call it - Food makeovers - Pleasures of motherhood :)


These plantains are really healthy much more than our regular bananas.My keralite friends tell me that they even give these plantains in a  dry powdered form to toddlers.

To make this you need


Ripe Plantains/nendram pazham 1
All purpose flour 2 tablespoons
Rice flour 2 tsp
Salt a pinch
Sugar to taste 2 tsp(optional)
Turmeric powder a pinch
Baking soda a pinch (optional)
Oil to deep fry


  • Slice the plantains into round slices or into long wedges or you can use it on the whole too.
  • Mix the all purpose flour and rice flour with salt,sugar and turmeric powder.Add lil water to make a not too loose batter such that it coats the plantain slices.
  •  Heat oil and drop the coated plantain pieces one by one and fry until golden brown on both sides.



Serve crispy hot pazham pori/bhajjis with tea :) 


- The rice flour is meant to make the outer coating crispier.
- Baking soda can be omitted, if added it will give you a nice puffy outside.
- Sugar is optional as the plantain is sweet enough i omitted it.

Sending this to  What is with my cuppa?and Nupur's pageRecipes with fruits, 30 min challenge

Untitled-1



30 comments:

  1. I love this to the core... Feel like having some right now... Nice pics

    ReplyDelete
  2. u r really right... the marriage between pazham pori and south indians is unbreakable!!! drooling here... :)
    http://sweettoothraf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these anytime...Looks so crispy and delicious.. :) Delectably clicked :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks yummy.would love to have it with my cuppa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Princy, just like any south Indian pazham pozhi is my most fav :-)

    Lovely post!

    Regards,
    Manju
    http://manjuseatingdelights.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please send me some Princy, wish i get some rite now,irresistible fritters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I've ever had those - too hard to get green enough bananas here. But they sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice presentation.... I love pazham pori and can have it any time of the day... Nice blog as well

    Preeti
    Http://weliciousdelicious.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey,

    Nice presentation. I love pazham pori and can have it any time of the day. NIce blog as well...

    http://weliciousdelicious.blospot.com

    Regards
    Preeti

    ReplyDelete
  10. i so wish I could grab a few.. a nice change from the regular pakoras!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for visiting my space. So glad to meet you.I love pazham porri's...These look really good

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pazham pori is my all time fave snack...Love the beautiful presentation...

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovley clicks and all time favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  14. reminds me of Beach!!! so yummy and so delicious!!! Thanks for sending this yummy recipe to my event.. Looking for more yummy recipes...

    Sowmya
    Ongoing Event - HITS - Diabetic Friendly
    Ongoing Event + Giveaway - Italian Dishes

    ReplyDelete
  15. yummy pazham pori...first time here..following you..do visit my blog when you are free...

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is a favourite at home. And specially made like the one in the picture. Looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adipoli pazham pori Princy...Looks too delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful clicks, I love bajjis...too good with tea.

    http://kitchentantras.com/sweet-punjabi-lassi-bottoms-up/

    ReplyDelete
  19. They look so tempting. Do join in at a food event and giveaway at my blog : http://annarasaessenceoffood.blogspot.com/2013/03/food-event-your-favourite-street-food.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by and giving me all the encouragement to keep going.

You May also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis