My love for seafood biryani started way back when i was school.And it was my dad who first prepared a fish biryani!(yummy juicy fillets of kingfish in flavored rice...i shall share that recipe later when i get a chance to!)
This prawn pulav is just too good and makes every one happy!
I would like to send this recipe to 'My spicy recipe' contest @ Spicy Chilly.I like Flipkart a one place online shopping destination.
I have tried making this all together in the cooker or a single vessel but it doesn't come as good as mixing it separately.
Basmati rice 1 cup (cooked and cooled)
Prawns 20 numbers or as much as you need
For the masala
Oil + butter 2-3 tblspns
Whole garam masala spices 4 5 pieces each(cloves,cardamom,cinnamon)
Onions 2 large chopped finely
Tomato 2 large
Ginger garlic paste 2 tsp
Mint leaves 1 small bunch
Cilantro 1 bunch
Red chilli powder 1 tsp
Coriander powder 1 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Garam masala powder 1 tsp
Salt to taste
- Marinate the prawns with salt,pepper powder,turmeric powder,ginger garlic paste,coriander powder,red chilli powder for about half hour and shallow fry it and keep it ready.
- Cook the basmati rice in which ever way you are comfortable.It should be about 95% cooked not completely cooked else while we mix the masala the rice will break.(in a pressure cooker or drain it after cooking it in hot water)
- Heat oil in a pan, add the whole spices let it pop, then add onions and allow it to turn brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry well.Add the chopped cilantro and mint leaves(keep some for garnish at the end too)
- Add the tomatos and a pinch of salt so the cooking speedens.
- Next add the turmeric,dhaniya and garam masala,chilli powder and fry well.
- Add the prawns to this masala and let it sit for a while until the masala has nicely coated the prawns.
- In a big vessel, mix the rice and prepared prawns masala.Garnish with chopped leaves or butter fried nuts,raisins.
- Serve hot with raita and papads.
-If the basmati rice isn't almost cooked the pulav may get mushy on mixing.
- Prawns have to de-veined and cleaned well before cooking.
-Cooking time of prawns is just until the translucent raw prawns turn pinkish orange thats about less than 5minutes.
Sending this to My spicy recipe @ Spicy Chilly, \cook like a celebrity chef, Bon Vivant 12