We recently started getting the Zee Khana Khazana channel.Its India's full time food channel and I am Loving it!I watched a couple of shows where they show making the pizza is like baby tasks.One chef even mentioned these calzones thats how I got the idea to try them.
So when I made these I didn't want to post them and so excuse me for the pictures they are all taken after dark.The trick with the yeast is only proofing it and once thats done everyone of you knows that bread baking is fun!
To make the pizza base dough
All purpose flour One heaped cup
Yeast 1 heaped tsp
Warm water half cup
Sugar 1 tsp
Oil 3 tablespoons plus more to grease the bowl
Salt to taste
- Add the yeast with sugar to a bowl and add warm water.You should be able to tolerate the heat of the water thats the right temperature for the yeast to activate/proof.
- Stir well, cover and leave for 10-15 minutes until the yeast froths up well.At this stage the yeast is all well dissolved in the water.
- Once the yeast bubbles add it to the flour with salt two tablespoons or three of oil and water as needed to make a soft dough.
- Once the dough is soft grease a bowl and grease the dough with more oil and cover with cling film and let it raise until it doubles. (The yeast has to bubble in the warm water else the dough won't rise, this step took me about 3-4 hours).
- Once the dough has doubled punch it down and knead well.
- Make balls like for chapathis and spread it with your hand/rolling pin into a small circle shape, put the stuffing and cover it to make a half moon shape and over the edges run a fork and make holes with fork on both sides of the calzones else it'll explode while baking. Repeat for all the dough.Cover with cling film.
- Then allow to rise again for one hour or more.
- Brush the tops with beaten egg or milk on top and bake in preheated at 250C, I baked for 15 - 20 mins until the tops are brown and bottoms are not sticky.
For the filling
I made two fillings one with mashed potatoes and one with mixed veggies.
Mixed vegetables 1 cup - finely chopped carrots,onions,beans,baby corn,mushroom (any you have)
Tomato puree of one large tomato
Chicken stock cube half
Chilli powder 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste (the stock cube has enough salt so check before adding)
Oil 1 tablespoon
- Heat oil in a pan, add the chopped vegetables and saute well.
- Add the stock cube crush it well and mix well with the vegetables.
- Once the vegetables are tender, add the chilli powder and salt if needed.Add cheese at the end.
- Turn off the heat.Allow to cool before stuffing into the dough.
This is a pictorial of the steps.
Calzones are ready to go I made two stuffing so that the kids won't complain with a lot of vegetables.