We are a bread crazy family and I've been wanting to try this focaccia bread for a long time since I saw it in some blogs.I tried a pumpkin focaccia bread it tasted really nice and we all loved it.I was happy that all vegetables were going in.
The pumpkin bread vanished in no time that I decided to try another focaccia bread since I ran out of pumpkin I made it with garlic and herbs.
To activate the yeast
Yeast 2 tsp
Sugar 1 tsp
Salt half tsp
Warm water to submerge the yeast
For the bread
All purpose flour 3 cups
Water half cup or more
Salt to taste
Garlic pods 4-5
Coriander leaves 3-4 springs chopped finely
Carrom/ ajwain seeds 1 tsp
Pepper powder 1 tsp
Oil 3 tablespoons plus more to grease the dough
Milk to brush the top of the bread
Capcisum slices to decorate the top
- In a bowl add the yeast, sugar and salt along with warm water.You should be able to tolerate the warmth of the water if its too hot the yeast may not get active at all.Give it a stir and leave until it completely froths up.
- Add the flour and the rest of the dry ingredients in a bowl.Add the frothed yeast into the flour and oil and water and knead well into a smooth soft dough.
- Grease the dough and allow it to rest in a greased bowl.Cover with cling film and allow to double in size.
- It took about 4 hours for my dough to double.Once dough has doubled, punch it in and knead well.
- Grease a round baking tin, and place the dough into the tin,place the capsicum slices on top.Allow to rise again for about 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 200C, brush the top of the bread with cold milk and place it in the oven to bake for 25 minutes.
Enjoy some flavourful focaccia bread with a hot cup of coffee.I even made a sandwich by slicing it in half it tasted super good too.