Thursday, April 17, 2014

How to make Restaurant style Vegetable Spring Rolls from at home

The summer holidays are here and a much needed break for the moms and the kids.I just told my LM that for another month and half i don't have to scream at her to brush her teeth and take a bath first thing in the morning!But ofcourse there will be screaming for other things...sigh the joys of motherhood!
I recently discovered my LM loves spring rolls so I decided to make them from scratch.I was fearing it would be a long process but not really.As usual the chopping took more time than the actual preparation of the spring rolls.

how to make spring rolls 1
I have been a little late on posting here not because I'm lazy because I'm not able to find time mostly because of the toddler.Is it just mine or don't kids sleep enough these days :P Since my daughter is not a big fan of vegetables any food where i can sneak it in is a welcome for me.This dish she really loved.Except that it is deep fried, this one is a winner.


how to make spring rolls 2



how to make spring rolls 3

how to make spring rolls 4Preparation time 1 hour 

For the spring roll wrappers :

All purpose flour or maida 1 cup
Milk half cup
Water as required
Salt to taste

  • Mix all the above to make a thin pouring consistency pancake batter and set aside
  • Heat a non stick pan pour a ladle full or two of the batter and swirl the pan so that the batter spreads evenly and thinly coating the pan. All to cook the pancake will start leaving the sides. You need not flip it. Just put it aside on a plate. This is the spring  roll wrapper we use to place the filling. Repeat for all the batter.
To make the filling
Mixed vegetables chopped lengthwise 1 large cup I used onions carrots beans mushrooms baby corn capsicum and cabbage
Soya sauce 1 tablespoon
Salt to taste
Pepper powder 1 tsp
Vinegar 1/2 tsp
Oil 1 tablespoon

  • Heat oil in a pan add the onions once sautéed add the remaining vegetables and cook until soft.
  • Add salt to taste.
  • Add vinegar and soya sauce and stir once. Turn off the heat.

To assemble the spring roll
You need

Spring rolls Wrappers
Filling
A paste of maida and water mixed in equal quantities to seal the ends

  • Take a wrapper, place the filling on one side of the wrapper. Fold both the sides adjacent to the filling. Now roll the third side close to the filling tightly pressing the filling inside to form a roll. Seal the edges with the maida water paste.
  • Repeat above for all the spring rolls.
  • Deep fry or shallow fry the spring rolls until the outside is golden brown
  • Serve hot with tomato sauce.





My tips :
  • I have tried a baked version of spring rolls earlier.But this is restaurant style one where the wrapper is a pancake rolled with stuffing of your choice.I have used vegetables but you can add any meat or stuffing of your choice.Also i noticed that 
  • this is a really oily snack so I pan fried it for us and deep fried it for the kids.Be sure to squeeze out as much oil as you can with the help of paper towels.


8 comments:

  1. please pass it on to me... i am hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow spring rolls batter made this way .Looks very yumm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious! Can I ask for some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic appetizier, i can finish that whole plate in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow thats an fabulous looking veggie roll :) tempting me !! i wud love to eat them all :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by and giving me all the encouragement to keep going.

You May also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis