Sunday, March 24, 2013

Chicken biryani with green spices - My 200th post

It was around this time last year that I started blogging actively since I don't have a proper date I first actively started blogging, I decided to celebrate my 100s(I registered this blog account in 2006) and I reached 200 posts today. I want to celebrate my joy with this flavourful biryani to all my virtual world friends who make me come back to write every post.



When I reached my 100th, i was sceptical if i could go on, and this is a feat i could achieve only because of all the encouragement i receive from my lovely bloggy friends and The Lord almighty above. I remember the simple hymn ' All things bright and beautiful .... ' we learnt in school just a simple song that reminds us that all things small or big were made by the Great God.



I like to try out different biryanis often so much so that I usually never stick on to the same one. I found this recipe( altered to my tastes) long back while I was in London(I think everyone knows that I didn't have blender/mixie there)I used a mint chutney out of a jar to make this biryani except for the color(the mint from the jar gives you a blacking shade than a greenish one) everything used to be perfect.

You need to do this in 3 steps :

Marinade 
Chicken 1/2 kg 
Yogurt 2 tablespoons
Red chilli powder 1 tsp
Coriander powder 2 tsp
Garam masala 2 tsps
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Aniseeds/ saunf 1 tsp
Ginger garlic paste 2 tsp
Salt to taste
  • Marinate the chicken for about half hour or more for best results.


Grind
Large handfull of coriander leaves and mint leaves with a little water


Biryani
Basmati rice 2 and half cups soaked for about 1 hour
Water 5 cups
Whole spices 
  • cardamom 5 
  • cloves 5 
  • cardamom 2 pieces
  • star anise 1 

Green chillies 2 slit at the top
Cashews and raisins optional few of both 
Curd 2 tablespoon
Onions 2 large chopped finely
Tomato 2 large finely
Oil/Butter/Ghee 3-4 Tablespoons
Lime juice 2 tablespoons
  • Heat oil in a wide mouthed dish/vessel(whichever you want to prepare the biryani in), add oil/butter and add the whole spices in.
  • As the spices pop, add green chillies and onions.Let it fry well until dark brown and caramelized.
  • Add the marinated chicken and cook well in the chicken's own juices.
  • Add the green paste and let it coat the chicken well.
  • Add the chopped tomatoes and cover it so the tomatoes breakdown soon.
  • Add the curd to this and stir well.
  • Drain the rice and add the basmati rice to this.
  • Add the water and check for salt now.Add the lime juice to this water.If you find the spices less add garam masala to your taste now.
  • Cover the vessel now and let it cook for 12-15 mins on medium flame.


Serve yummy flavourful biryani hot with raita and papads.

You May also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis